About Hartley Brothers
Hartley Bros. Landscaping, Inc specializes in custom landscape design work which includes planting of trees and shrubs, natural stone and man-made retaining walls, landscape lighting, paver patios, walks and driveways. Our business has grown since Hartley Brothers began over 20 years ago. The main concentration of our business is now on landscape design and construction.
Our staff has also grown from four brothers to over 20 employees, with a vast range of knowledge and expertise. Many bring their skills from related trades such as carpentry, electrical, and building trades, making them a tremendous asset to the company.
A number of our employees have studied landscape science, landscape design, landscape architecture and horticulture at both the high school and college level.
- We employ many graduates from the Landscaping/Forestry program of Smith Vocational & Agricultural High School in Northampton, M.A.
- Some of the owners, as well as many employees, are graduates of Springfield Technical Community College with Associate Degrees in Landscape Design and Management.
To stay on top of new products and techniques, Hartley Brothers employees continue their education off-season by attending training classes and seminars.
- Bret Hartley is trained as a Certified Septic System Installer. This license allows us to install septic systems in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
- Brian Hartley has been trained through the Western Mass Home Builders' Association and is licensed as a MA Construction Supervisor.
We are proud members of the following organizations.
- MNLA (Massachusetts Nursery and Landscape Association)
- Farm Bureau
In addition, we subscribe to the UMASS Extension Service. Through the extension service, we have access to an extensive network of resources and information provided by the professionals at the University. We can send soil samples and specimen samples into their lab for analysis. We also receive a weekly update from the extension service alerting us to any new pests, diseases or problems showing up in our area.
We, as a company, strongly believe in the importance of education in the Landscaping Industry. Ours is a very science and math oriented business. Because of this, we are actively involved in the advisory boards of many local schools.
- Daniel Hartley serves on the advisory board for the Landscape Design and Management Technology Program at Springfield Technical Community College.
- Andrew Hartley serves on the advisory board for the Horticulture Program at Westfield Vocational Technical High School.
- Daniel and Catherine Hartley serve on the Landscape Technology/Horticulture Advisory Committee at The Career and Technical Education Center of the Lower Pioneer Valley Educational Collaborative located in West Springfield, MA.
- Catherine Hartley serves on the advisory committee for the Forestry/Horticulture department at Smith Vocational & Agricultural High School in Northampton, M.A.
We also believe that it is important to give back to the community in which you live and work. Daniel Hartley serves on the Horticultural Committee for Stanley Park of Westfield. In that capacity, he is working with a group of horticultural professionals to make recommendations to rebuild parts of the park and its gardens to return it to its former glory.